However, I’ve never cared for coffee. It doesn’t taste the way it promises to taste when you smell its rich, strong odor. When I’ve tried it here and there, I’ve never gotten past the first sip. I bet it’s been since grad school that I’ve even bothered to try it at all. Since the Hubster has similar feelings about the brew, we are not a coffee drinking household. But as my need for caffeine increases, I’m more convinced than ever that I need to grow up and become a coffee drinker.
So, as anyone might do when planning on taking up a new
Then I talked to a friend at work. He was torn. He said he thought maybe I should start with lattes and the like. However, he said that espresso was “all that you think coffee should be.” Rich, strong, with an underlying sweetness. So when we carpooled to another conference together last week, he stopped at Starbucks and bought us each an espresso. A quad espresso. It was like drinking the water lying pooled in the ruins of a burned-down house after the fire department has gone. Very hot, very smoky... very not me. It was an experience I hope not to repeat.
When I told Beamer about this, his exact comment was “Espresso for a coffee virgin? That’s like skipping alcohol or weed and going straight to hero.in!” So I’ve backtracked to Plan A. I bought a small bag of breakfast blend and a couple of those flavored creamers to sissy it up. We’ll see where this takes me.
*Or “soda,” if you lean more East Coast than Midwest in your colloquialisms.



I think you and I are twins. I am a soda addict and drink it first thing in the morning, every morning. (though I prefer diet) And as much as I love the SMELL of coffee, the flavor just doesn't cut it for me. And yes, sometimes I feel left out because everyone else is drinking it, and at breakfast functions they don't supply soda!
ReplyDeleteI'd love to hear how your experiment goes. I'd have to sissy it up pretty far to drink it too (love that expression, btw).
Oh coffee. I would have an IV drip of coffee if I could. I adore espresso but I do think it is an acquired taste. Like beer. Most people I've gotten converted is to have them start with a Starbucks White Chocolate Mocha. It is mild and sugary and delicious (though very high in calories so I wouldn't sub it for your morning Pepsi). If you like that, next time try an extra shot. The thing to avoid is anywhere there is mass coffee (some work breakrooms, convenience stores, restaurants other than coffee shops of course) because it will be bitter. Bitter coffee is the worst. I try to brew mine at home using about two tablespoons for every 4 cups. If it is too strong you can always add some hot water and then reduce next time.
ReplyDelete